The Flagler Museum opened to the public in 1960. The Museum is housed within Whitehall, Henry Flagler’s Gilded Age estate built in 1902 in Palm Beach, Florida. Located on beautiful Lake Worth (Intracoastal Waterway), the Museum is designated a National Historic Landmark and accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. The Flagler Museum serves visitors from all over the world and offers an active schedule of programs and exhibitions. www.FlaglerMuseum.us.
The full-time, exempt position of Archivist and Research Librarian (ARL) oversees the Museum’s Archives and Research Library and serves within the Curatorial department of the Museum. The ARL conducts active research on the interpretation of Whitehall and its collections, responds to research inquiries from the public and scholarly community, writes articles for Museum publications, and serves as a primary link to the education and interpretive staff of the Museum, updating historical information through cross-departmental trainings. The ARL maintains the archival collection database (PastPerfect) and finding aids and is responsible for the professional care and preservation of the documents, photographs, drawings, books, and all items in the collection of the Archives and Library. S/he has input on new items for the collection and conservation issues. The ARL also assists the Curatorial department with major initiatives, including exhibition development.
- Master’s degree in Library Science, American History, or related field, with archival experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate expertise related to the oversight of the Archival collection; stay current in the field and seek opportunities for leadership in the field
- Demonstrate high ethical standards in all activities
- Identify new opportunities for the Research Library to be a more visible aspect of the Museum’s operation
- Serve as a project manager when overseeing research projects, reorganization or storage projects
- Effective communication skills, addressing research inquiries with urgency and enthusiasm; partnering across departments to train staff and volunteers on collections interpretation
- Excellent organizational skills; able to implement and follow timelines and stay focused while multi-tasking
Qualified applicants should send letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please. The Museum is a smoke-free environment and drug-free workplace and a complete background check is conducted prior to hire. The Flagler Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.